I love using pumpkin puree for both sweet and savory applications. This pasta dish came to fruition when I decided I needed to try something new with my leftover pumpkin.
The pumpkin sauce is packed with so much flavor. Pureed onions and garlic, heavy cream and good-quality parmesan cheese make this a real winner.
Frying the sage not only adds a nice, crispy topper, but also perfumes the butter used in the sauce. Don’t forget the most important topper of all; MORE CHEESE!
Tagliatelle with Brown-Butter Pumpkin Cream Sauce and Fried Sage
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
This pumpkin cream sauce is packed with so much flavor. Brown butter, sweet onions, rich cream, fried sage and plenty of parmesan make this a real winner.
- 8 oz tagliatelle or fettuccine pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 12 medium sage leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for serving
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Boil pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. The water should taste like salt water. Add pasta and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Set aside.
- Fry sage: While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sage and fry about 3 minutes or until crispy, flipping halfway through. Transfer sage to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving browned butter in pan.
- Make sauce: Add olive oil and onion to pan; season with salt and pepper. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until softened and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30-60 seconds.
- Blend: Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and puree, adding a few tablespoons of reserved pasta water if needed. Return onion mixture to pan. Stir in pumpkin, cream and cheese; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Thin with pasta water, as needed.
- Toss & serve: Add pasta to pan, stir to coat in sauce and heat through, 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Garnish with fried sage, and serve with grated cheese. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: ⅓ of pasta
- Calories: 528
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 204mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 67g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: pumpkin, creamy, pasta, cheese, sage
Coley | Coley Cooks says
OMG, yummmm! This is right up my alley. Give me all the pasta and all of the brown butter. Definitely trying this one out soon!