Yes, I know the title is a ridiculous mouthful. But how else could I describe this delicious mouthful of food goodness?
A few of you agreed that banana bread French toast sounded like a good idea, and boy were we right. This is so good. Every bite feels so wrong and so right at the same time, but mostly so right.
Banana bread French toast is already so decadent and delicious as is, all you really need is a little maple syrup and maybe some fresh, sliced bananas. But if you want to go all out, bananas foster is the perfect topping.
To make this dish even more perfect, don’t forget the sprinkle of chunky, sea salt! You might not be able to see it in the photos, but the salt makes this extra special. You can’t beat a salty-sweet combo.
Now, you have no excuse to waste leftover banana bread, or any quick bread, at that. You’re welcome.
I make banana bread French toast with my leftover sesame banana bread, and boy is this decadent and delicious. Bananas foster adds some extra banana goodness on top.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon dark rum or brandy
- 2 medium bananas (ripe but firm), sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4, ¾ inch slices of leftover, slightly stale banana bread (such as my Sesame Banana Bread)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon milk or cream
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Fleur de sel (or other chunky sea salt), for topping
- Make bananas foster: Warm a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan and stir in the sugar and spices to combine. Add rum and simmer mixture for about 2-3 minutes or until the alcohol is somewhat cooked off. Gently fold in the bananas. Turn off heat and stir in the cream. Cover and keep warm.
- Prep French toast: While the bananas foster is cooking, preheat a large skillet for the French toast over medium heat. Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt in a wide bowl.
- Cook French toast: Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan per 2 slices of bread. Dip the bread in the egg mixture, coating on both sides, and place in the pan. Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until browned, cooking in batches if needed.
- Serve: Top the French toast with the bananas foster and a sprinkle of Fleur de sel. Enjoy.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pan fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice & ¼ of bananas
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 43g
- Sodium: 157mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 68g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: banana bread french toast, sesame banana bread