I’m so glad to own popsicle molds again. Need ’em in the summer!
Popsicles were one of my favorite summer treats growing up. Second to ice cream, obviously. From what I remember, my mom kept it simple and usually filled up the mold with store-bought juice. Nothing wrong with that.
I, however, decided to take use of the awesome summer fruit in season. I went for a new combo: blackberries and watermelon. This experiment was very successful if I do say so myself. The deep berry flavor combines nicely with the bright, fruity watermelon. Can you really describe a fruit as fruity? You know what I’m trying to say, right? It’s a good combination. Trust me.
The blackberries and watermelon also create the most beautiful color in these popsicles. That purple is gorgeous, right? I also love the speckles of sliced blackberries peaking from under the surface. They’re a nice, little juicy surprise.
Don’t let your popsicles melt like I did! Get ’em while they’re cold.
Popsicles are the perfect summer treat. Try out a new flavor combination with my recipe for blackberry watermelon popsicles!
- 1 lb watermelon, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 6 oz blackberries, divided
- ¼ cup light agave nectar, honey or light corn syrup (start with 2 tbsp & adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp water, or as needed
- 1 tsp lemon juice, or to taste
- Pinch salt
- Blend & sieve fruit: Add watermelon, 4oz of blackberries, 2 tbsp sweetener and salt to a blender. Add water, as needed, to facilitate blending. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add more sweetener and/or lemon juice, to taste. Filter through a sieve.
- Slice fruit: Slice the remaining 2oz of blackberries into rounds (3 or 4 per berry).
- Fill molds: Pour fruit mixture ¾ of the way up the molds. Press in a few slices of blackberries in each mold. Place popsicle sticks in the molds (can also do this half way through freezing).
- Freeze & serve: Freeze until solid. Dip into warm water to unmold. Enjoy.
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1 popsicle
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 0.8 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 9.3 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 0.5 g