A simple, classic Italian dish. Chicken, lemon, white wine and capers; a combination that will never go out of style.
Chicken piccata is one of those simple recipes, perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. I’m not usually a huge fan of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but when’re they’re pounded thin, floured and pan-fried, there’s nothing not to love.
The acidity of the wine and lemon juice, and bite from the capers is perfectly balanced by the rich chicken broth and butter. I like to add shallots to this dish for additional flavor and sweetness, even though they might not be the most traditional.
It’s probably surprising to some that I didn’t serve this with pasta. I might be borderline pasta’ed-out to be honest, but I love piccata with rice to soak up all the juices. I actually boiled my rice in the chicken broth I had leftover from the sauce, and threw in a pat of butter for good measure.
I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t like Classic Chicken Piccata. Pounded chicken breasts, white wine, lemon and capers are the key ingredients to this easy, Italian meal.
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied, cut into 3 cutlets, pounded 1/3-1/2 inch thick
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus lemon slices, for serving
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Dredge & fry chicken: Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry. Season with salt and pepper. Place flour in a large dish and season liberally with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Add oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Fry chicken cutlets 2-3 minutes per side or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Make sauce: Discard all but 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add shallot and sauté over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 15-30 seconds. Add wine to the pan and simmer about 2-3 minutes. Stir in broth and simmer an additional 4-5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in capers and lemon juice. Add in the remaining tablespoon of butter and swirl the pan until it’s emulsified. Stir in parsley.
- Serve: Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with lemon slices and white rice or buttered angel hair pasta. Enjoy.
- Category: Main
- Method: Pan fry
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 cutlet
- Calories: 403
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 152mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 37g
Keywords: piccata, chicken, capers