Mussels and saffron; sounds a little fancy, right? Well, it couldn’t be simpler to prepare.
These mussels are steamed in a flavorful broth of shallots, garlic, crushed tomatoes and plenty of white wine. A pinch of saffron really elevates this dish, and the parsley adds the perfect herbaceous freshness to finish things off.
That beautiful broth is just asking for some grilled bread to sop it up. The bread-broth action is definitely my favorite part.
Mussels in saffron tomato broth has to be one of my favorite mussel recipes. It’s simple but includes all the right flavors to enhance the sweet, briny mussels.
- ¾ cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 1 large pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 whole canned tomatoes, removed from juices
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ¼ cup loosely packed parsley, chopped
- Grilled crusty Italian or French bread (gluten free, if desired), for serving*
- Steep saffron: Warm wine, add saffron and allow it to steep while preparing the other ingredients.
- Make base: Heat a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Melt butter in the pan. Add in shallots, season with salt and pepper, and sauté 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 15-30 seconds. Add wine, bring to a boil over high heat for about a minute or until slightly reduced. Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, reduce heat and allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Grill bread: While sauce cooks, heat a grill pan or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Cut bread into ½ inch-thick slices. Drizzle bread with extra virgin olive oil and season lightly with chunky sea salt. Grill for about 1 minute per side or until charred. If using a grill pan, place a pan over the bread to weigh down the bread slightly and encourage grill marks.
- Steam mussels & serve: Add mussels to tomatoes, cover and allow to steam over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes or until mussels have just opened (discard any that don’t). Taste broth for seasoning and adjust, if needed. Stir in parsley and serve with grilled bread. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Steam, Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: ½ of mussels
- Calories: 639
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 1315mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 57g
Keywords: mussels, tomatoes, saffron