Orange and Fennel Salad with Radicchio combines classic flavors in a new way. This is the perfect addition for your winter dinner table.
Fennel and orange are a classic pair. The sweet and acidic oranges go so well with the crunchy, anise flavored bulb. I really love the simplicity of the fennel and orange salad we served at my old job. Instead of shaving the fennel on a mandolin, we chopped the bulb into chunks, similar to how you would cut an onion. The oranges were cut into chunks just the same. We combined the oranges and fennel in small individual bowls and simply seasoned them with good olive oil, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. We threw a couple olives in here and there, but that was it. So good and so simple. If you don’t make my recipe, you totally have to try a fennel and orange salad like this.
Back to my recipe. I made this salad my own by combining navel oranges and blood oranges, and adding radicchio. Radicchio echoes the beautiful deep burgundy color of the blood orange and adds a bitter element that balances the sweetness of the oranges. For the vinaigrette, I combined sherry vinegar, olive oil, orange zest and a little grated shallot for some zing. I threw a few fennel fronds on top, because they’re pretty, why not, and here you have it. Orange and fennel salad with radicchio utilizes gorgeous winter produce and comes together with very little effort. You should make this. Like now.
Orange and Fennel Salad with Radicchio combines classic flavors and is perfect for your winter table.
- 8 cups (1–2 heads) radicchio, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 blood orange, skin and pith removed, cut into rounds or wedges
- 1 naval orange, skin and pith removed, cut into rounds or wedges
- ½ fennel bulb, core removed, sliced very thin on mandolin
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon shallot ‘pulp’ (finely grated on microplane)
- Zest of half an orange
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Combine salad ingredients: Place radicchio, oranges and fennel in a large bowl.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, combine vinegar, grated shallot and zest. Slowly stream in oil while constantly whisking until dressing is emulsified.
- Toss & serve: Season salad ingredients with salt and pepper. Drizzle over dressing. Toss to combine. Transfer to serving dishes, top with fronds and enjoy.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Whisk, Toss
- Cuisine: Italian, American
- Serving Size: ⅙ of salad
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 16mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: fennel, orange, salad, radicchio