You have to make my Red Wine Braised Short Ribs just so you have an excuse to make this pasta. Trust me here.
The slow-cooked, braised short ribs make such an incredibly rich sauce. It just screams Sunday dinner. The sweetness from the tomato paste and complexity of the red wine work perfectly with these beef ribs.
This is one of those dishes where leftovers rival the original meal. Really any braised meat can be shredded up and transformed the next day, which is such a beautiful thing. It’s amazing how different this meal feels than the original braised ribs and potatoes. Shavings of delicious cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil bring you to a new place.
Even if you don’t make this exact meal, I hope it inspires you to use up leftovers in a new way. That’s really the main point here.
Look at those gorgeous noodles. I think it’s time to eat now.
As much as I love braised short, I like them even more leftover and added to pasta. Pappardelle with short rib ragu is one of those comforting dishes you’ll want to keep going back to.
- 2 or 3 leftover short ribs and 1 cup braising liquid from my Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- 8 oz pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Pecorino Romano, shaved, for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- Cook pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. The water should taste like salt water. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a cup of pasta water.
- Prepare sauce: While the pasta cooks, remove meat from the bones and shred. Add meat and leftover sauce to a large sauté pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Toss & serve: Toss pappardelle in the sauce to coat, adding a few spoonfuls of pasta water, as needed, to thin the sauce. Toss with parsley, garnish with shaved cheese and drizzle with oil. Enjoy.
- The calorie estimations for this recipe are highly inaccurate. According to my own calculations, each serving is approximately 450-500 calories, including oil used for serving.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: ⅓ of pasta
- Calories: 532
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 63mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: Italian, pasta, short rib, ragu