This corn soup is creamy, sweet and smoky. Sweet corn and scallions are rubbed in butter and chipotle chili powder, grilled, pureed and blended with chicken broth and cream. Serve with lime for some added brightness.
This soup is creamy, sweet and smoky. Corn and scallions are rubbed in chipotle chili powder, grilled, pureed and blended with chicken broth and cream.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 3 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 scallions, plus more for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, with skin
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Grill vegetables: Heat grill to medium-high. Stir chili powder into melted butter. Brush ears of corn and scallions with butter and season with salt and pepper. Add vegetables to grill. Grill corn for 6-8 minutes, turning every 1 ½ -2 minutes, or until charred on all sides and tender. Cook garlic in skin 4-5 minutes or until slightly softened. Grill scallions for about 1-2 minutes per side or until charred and wilted. Allow vegetables to cool slightly.
- Cut vegetables: Remove kernels from cob, reserving a few tablespoons for garnish. Chop scallions, discarding root. Peel and chop garlic.
- Blend & serve: Add vegetables to food processor or blender and pulse until ground. Add chicken broth and puree. Pour mixture through sieve into a medium sauce pan, pushing through contents with a rubber spatula. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, add cream and taste for seasoning. Garnish soup with reserved corn, chopped scallions tops or curls*, and a few drops of cream. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer, Grill
- Cuisine: American, New American
- Serving Size: ⅓ of soup
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 118mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: corn, grilled, soup, creamy