Once you make this Pistachio Almond Ice Cream, you wont want to go back to the store bought stuff. Toasted pistachios and almond extract give this ice cream unbeatable flavor.
If you’re a fan of pistachio ice cream, you need to try this recipe! With less than a half hour of prep time, it’s completely worth the effort.
Most store bought pistachio ice creams are really lacking in flavor. The combination of toasted pistachios and almond extract make this ice cream stand out.
My Pistachio Almond Ice Cream is a summertime staple for me, and I hope it makes it to your home too.
- Pistachios- Make sure to buy shelled pistachios to save yourself some time. I suggest buying unseasoned, untoasted nuts and toasting them at home.
- Almond Extract– Look for pure almond extract for the best flavor.
- Green food color– This is completely optional but will give you that classic green color.
Step by Step Process
First, toast the pistachios in your oven at 350F (1). After they cool, grind them in a food processor with sugar until finely ground (2).
Heat up the milk, cream and ground pistachios in a sauce pan on the stove (3). In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar until light and fluffy (4).
Next, temper the egg mixture by ladling in some of the hot cream mixture into the bowl, and whisk to combine (5). Transfer tempered eggs to cream mixture on stove top, and whisk while pouring.
Cook until thickened, 3-5 minutes, while constantly stirring to prevent lumps. Strain through sieve into a large bowl (6). Cool to room temperature. Stir in almond extract and green food coloring, if desired (7).
Chill overnight in the fridge. Freeze in an ice cream machine per manufacturer’s instructions (8).
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQs
- Toast your nuts. For optimal flavor, toast your nuts first. I even toast them at home if I buy packaged pistachios which were already toasted.
- Grind pistachios properly. I like to add sugar to the food processor along with the pistachios to create friction and help them grind very finely. Fewer pistachios will be wasted when you strain the ice cream base.
- Variations. You can leave out the almond extract or put in as much as you prefer. Add a little at time to avoid over doing it.
Most commercially prepared pistachio ice cream is flavored with bitter almond paste or extract and doesn’t even contain pistachios! My homemade version combines the best of both worlds.
People add food coloring to give a visual cue as to what you are eating. The food coloring is completely optional and won’t affect the flavor.
This post is also available as a web story.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Chocolate Olive Oil Ice Cream
- Milk and Honey Ice Cream
- Matcha Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Coconut Ice Cream
- Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream
If you make this recipe, please post a comment and rating down below. If you want to be notified every time I post a new recipe, subscribe to my blog and give me a follow on my social accounts: instagram, pinterest, twitter, youtube. See you next time!Print
Toasted pistachios and almond extract give this Pistachio Almond Ice Cream incredible flavor. It beats out the store bought stuff ten fold!
- ¾ cup shelled, unsalted pistachios, plus more for serving*
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream*
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (pinch of fine salt)
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon almond extract, or to taste
- 2–3 drops green food coloring, or as desired (optional)
- Toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat. Toast nuts for 8 minutes or until lightly golden and crisp. Cool to room temperature.
- Prep bowl: Place a sieve over a large bowl and set aside.
- Grind nuts: Finely grind the cooled pistachios using a food processor. Add sugar and continue to grind until very finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Warm base: Combine the cream, milk, pistachios and salt in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat until the mixture comes to slight simmer.
- Whisk eggs and sugar: While cream mixture heats, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale, thick and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Temper eggs: Ladle in about ½ cup of the warm cream mixture to the bowl with the eggs and sugar while constantly whisking.
- Cook base: Reduce the heat to medium-low. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pan, while whisking constantly. Continue to whisk, making sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of pan repeatedly. Cook 3-5 minutes or until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain & cool: Immediately strain ice cream base through sieve into the prepared bowl. Allow to cool in bowl over wire rack until room temperature. Stir in the almond extract and food coloring, as desired. Chill in the fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Freeze & serve: Freeze using an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to freezer to set up completely or enjoy some soft serve. Top with chopped pistachios, if desired.
- The total time does not reflect the time needed to chill and churn the ice cream.
- If you use salted pistachios, omit the salt from the recipe. It’s okay to use pre-toasted pistachios too.
- You can substitute 3 cups of half and half in place of milk and cream. I also tested this recipe using 1 cup of cream and 2 cups of whole milk, which works well.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Toast, Boil, Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 70mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 170mg
Keywords: pistachio almond ice cream, pistachio ice cream