The strawberries in this dish are actually cooked with balsamic vinegar and sugar, creating a deep, rich flavor. Balsamic syrup is the perfect accompaniment to this unique strawberry ice cream.Print
In this strawberry balsamic ice cream, the strawberries are actually cooked with balsamic vinegar and sugar, creating a deep, rich flavor.
- 1 quart (1 lb) strawberries, hulled, halved or quartered if large
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
Ice Cream Base:
- 2 ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Balsamic Syrup (see recipe)
- Cook strawberries: Combine strawberries, sugar, vinegar and salt in a medium saucepan. Turn heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until strawberries are softened and juices start to thicken.
- Blend and reduce: Remove strawberries with a slotted spoon and transfer to food processor or blender. Reduce remaining sauce over high heat until thick and syrupy, and combine with strawberries. Puree until smooth.
- Make ice cream base: Place sieve over large bowl and set aside. For the ice cream base, combine milk, cream and salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium and bring to a slight simmer. Meanwhile whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Temper eggs by spooning about ¼ cup of cream mixture into egg mixture while whisking. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour egg mixture into cream mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for about 3-5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Sieve: Pour ice cream base into bowl through sieve to remove any lumps. Pour strawberry puree through sieve, pushing through gently with a rubber spatula. Add vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Freeze & serve: Chill in fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Freeze using an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Serve with Balsamic Syrup or desired toppings. Enjoy.
- Total time does not reflect inactive time for chilling and churning the ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Simmer, Freeze
- Cuisine: American, New American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: ice cream, strawberry, strawberries, balsamic