My Quick Panettone can be made in a couple hours rather than a couple days like it’s yeast risen counterpart. I’m sure you’ll appreciate the time savings, especially during the Christmas holiday.
If you’re not familiar with panettone, it’s a sweet, Italian Christmas bread eaten for breakfast or dessert.
It’s made in a mold which gives it its distinct tall, domed shape. Traditionally, panettone is filled with candied citrus and raisins, but there are so many variations.
The process of making an authentic panettone is quite time consuming and involved, so I wanted to find an easier solution.
My quick panettone might not have exactly the same light, fluffy texture as a traditional loaf, but it’s pretty darn similar. And do you see that crisp, golden crust? It’s so so good.
If you know you’re never going to go all out with the yeasted version, I definitely suggest you give this recipe a try!
More Holiday Sweets
- Panettone Bread Pudding
- Gingerbread Scones
- Cranberry Orange Scones
- Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Whoopie Pies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies with Chocolate and Jam
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cannoli
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Linzer Cookies with Strawberry Rose Jam
- Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies
If you make this recipe, please post a comment and rating down below. If you want to be notified every time I post a new recipe, subscribe to my blog and give me a follow on my social accounts: instagram, pinterest, twitter, youtube. See you next time!Print
My Quick Panettone can be made in a couple hours rather than a couple days like it’s yeast risen counterpart. It’s so good, you’ll be happy you saved the time.
- 4–4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Zest of 1 large orange
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 cup (shy) whole milk
- 1 tbsp brandy (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup dried currants, raisins, citron or cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried golden raisins
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water, for egg wash
- Heat oven & prep mold: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a panettone mold* (6.75 by 4.25 inches) or 8-inch round springform pan, and place on a baking sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl combine 4 cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zests.
- Combine wet ingredients: In a small bowl, whisk together milk, brandy and vanilla. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar over medium speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time until well-combined.
- Mix wet & dry: Alternately add the flour and milk mixtures over low speed until incorporated. Stir in dried fruits.
- Beat: Replace paddle attachment with a dough hook, and process over medium speed for 6-8 minutes or until dough becomes more elastic and slightly drier. It will still be very sticky at this point.
- Knead: Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Incorporate up to ½ cup more flour (a few tablespoons at a time) while kneading until just dry enough to handle. The dough should still be much looser and stickier than a typical bread dough.
- Form: Form into a round, domed shape the same diameter as your mold and place into mold, flat side down. Brush top with egg wash. Cut a cross-shaped slit into the center, 2 by 2 inches wide and ½ inch deep.
- Bake & serve: Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely for several hours. Slice and enjoy.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/12 of bread
- Calories: 374
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 114mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: quick panettone, no yeast panettone, panettone, Italian Christmas bread, Christmas